Catastrophic injury can be one of the scariest things and brings the victim one of the most difficult times. The life situation is changed in just a blink of an eye. There might be enduring physical pain and suffering from severe psychological pain while worrying at the same time about your claims and case. So, in this article, we will discuss what you need to do after a catastrophic injury.
When a catastrophic incident occurs, we are unaware of what we must do, and the process is overwhelming. So, in this article, you will understand the aftermath process, and also, for better guidance, you should consult an attorney.
What are Catastrophic Injuries, and What are their Types?
Catastrophic injury is a physical injury or illness considered very serious. Its impact is very severe, and it takes considerable medical treatment to overcome the injury. It is a life-threatening experience and leaves a long-term effect on people. There are various types of catastrophic injuries, which include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of vision and hearing
- Disfigurement and severe scarring
- Severe burns
What to do after the Catastrophic Injury?
- Do everything to ensure your safety: If the accident has occurred and the place is still unsafe for you, you should try to move to a safer place. If the danger continues, it might hurt you again, so you must do everything you can to ensure your safety.
- Call emergency personnel: Once at a safer place, you should call the emergency personnel or police for further action. They will quickly take steps and provide everything required to make you feel safer. In addition, there will be a police report after the incident, which will be helpful for you to claim your compensation.
- Seek medical attention: When you are injured in an accident, immediate medical care is important to understand and cure the injury. It will also help you provide a medical report to the insurance company for claiming your compensation. As there is a catastrophic injury, immediate medical care will become a savior for some people; therefore, medical attention is important in this case.
- Understand the cause of injury: When you are in a safer place, you should determine the cause and convey it to the police for further action. If there is medical malpractice, you should understand the root cause of the issue.
- Take pictures and witness testimony: It is not possible for you to directly talk to witnesses or take photographs. However, after the initial medical care, you can consult your attorney for better advice and ask them to collect evidence for the case.