In a warehouse environment, it is important to make effective use of the space you have available. A Platform mezzanine adds a floor between two levels of a building or creates a new level. By adding mezzanine floors, you can increase your floor area, allowing you to take advantage of unused space above the production and work areas. This also comes with the added advantage of not having to undertake an involved construction project to add a second or third floor. A platform mezzanine has many uses, including equipment storage, inventory rack access, work operations, and general storage.
Other specialized uses of platform mezzanines include the following.
Common Uses of Mezzanine Floors
- Storage: a mezzanine floor can be an excellent place to add a storage area that is safely away from daily production activities or work. While items are safely stored on another floor, they are still easily accessible by employees when needed.
- Work Area: a work platform mezzanine is ideal for specific types of warehouse work. Some of the most common examples include assembly, packaging, maintenance and repair, and quality control. The mezzanine can be installed near needed equipment or the maintenance area.
- A Portable Floor: another practical use of a platform mezzanine is for jobs or duties that may not be permanent. As these types of floors can be relocated, you can easily repurpose one for a different task in your warehouse.
- Retail Uses: mezzanine floors are not just for warehouses, they can also be useful in retail applications. By adding a mezzanine floor, you gain greater floor or storage space. In retail settings, a mezzanine floor is often used as the sales floor to serve as a way to attract customers to these items. This can drive sales and is a useful marketing tool.
- Office Space: sometimes you simply need a separate floor space for an office. When installed, a platform mezzanine creates not only more floor space but a separate level to place your office. This is useful in production spaces, allowing you to still be close to daily activity.
Mezzanine floors are made of sturdy materials designed to support high amounts of weight and provide safety. Common materials include steel and concrete with different coatings and finishes available. The type of materials and finishes you use will depend on the industry you are in and what you intend to use your floor for.
When you need more floor space in your work location or warehouse, a mezzanine platform provides more economical use of the room you have without having to permanently alter the building’s construction and layout.